We had to go read that damn book again at the library again today.
No need for sad faces though- this go around Mommy was much wiser. I brought along a book I created for him over the past few months- seriously, I am unemployed and spend all my time at a hospital, what else did I have to do?
It's complete with pics of him cleaning his tummy, helping put on his ostomy bag, flushing the urine down the toilet after we empty it, and of course, one of him standing next to the toilet "aiming, with no ammunition" , because that is what imaginations are for.
It was a hit.
Why did I not think of this about three years ago?
Why did I wait until the pressure of potty training a child with no ability to be continent started to make him feel like there was something "wrong" with himself?
Benji loved the pics of himself in his book. He loved the pictures of himself as a baby in the NICU. He loved the story of why his body works different.
His favorite page though was the picture of the hospital. He affectionately calls it "The doctor house." What a little weirdo. Really, the child is more at home at the hospital than he is at home.
And the two little strangers who came and plopped down next to us on the library floor enjoyed the book too. No one screamed, pointed, and yelled "your kid is a mess."
The only comment from the 4ish year old who crashed our incontinence story was "My daddy sits to pee like a girl." I bit my tongue from inquiring. Maybe he's tired? Maybe he's got bad aim?
Ummmm...okay.
TMI for his mom living in a very small town, who turned bright red. I have no idea who she was, but if I see her and her husband in Walmart I'm sure I will hold back a giggle that hubby pees like a girl.
I had to laugh Lori! You know you'll bump into them too, just because his daughter enlightened you!
ReplyDelete