Benji has had a miserable week. Between fits of pain and crying I have tried to sneak in some work with his arch nemesis- SCISSORS. He has always attempted to covet the curved and deadly ostomy scissors and is a big fan of stealing his big brother's scissors too. Because of his low tone in his hands and his issues with his thumbs, scissors are a huge challenge. What better time than when he is sitting on the couch too tired to run around is there to practice this skill?
So, we splurged on some dollar store zebra and elephant scissors and have been working on cutting strips in colored paper. He is terrible at it. His coordination is poor, his thumb is so weak that he turns them upside down to try to make his pointer finger be the leader, and can not decide which hand he should use.
However, much to my surprise he excels at cutting nicks in his feeding tube. That was a mess. After a stern warning that we do not cut tubes, I stepped out of the room today to take a call from Glenn and came back to find him taking the elephant scissors to his ostomy bag. Of course, it was full! Really, according to my phone it was a 33 second call.
After another lecture on not cutting tubes OR bags, I don't dare leave the room because I've caught him eyeing the dog a few times. I know how little boys think and Sadie does not need a haircut. Or an eyeball poked out!
No comments:
Post a Comment