It's been one of THOSE kinds of days....
....I broke a needle off inside of a vial of sodium bicarb....
....then dropped the vial on the kitchen floor while the dog was bouncing off of my knee....
....of course it shattered into a million glass pieces....
....I poked the needle into my finger as I was recapping the broken off needle (I know, I know, what was I thinking?)....
....the dog cut his foot on the glass vial while I was swearing about the needle capping fiasco....
....yes, it was the dog with inflammatory bowel disease who recently got squished by an SUV....
Certainly one of those days! After the circus in the kitchen shut down a couple of their rings, I sent Glenn back to the pharmacy to get longer, bigger gauge needles, as if we didn't have enough pokey things in this house already. After he left I was prompted to clean out the cupboard and uncovered syringes in every size that we did NOT need. Talk about wasteful- how in the world do we end up with so much extra medical supplies for this little boy. I'd throw them in the dumpster but I'm worried that the ATF would come track us down.
Benji is due to have his dexcom sensor changed tonight and I am questioning if my fumble fingers should really be inserting sharp objects in this child who is already full of holes. I might actually pierce something that shouldn't be poked.
Sheesh.
After a couple of doses of his new pancreatic enzyme we are hoping that his gi issues will be alleviated soon. 7 days without his previous med has not been pretty around here, unless of course you consider bile the color of a douglas fir to be pretty. It is certainly a little more of an involved process to administer it as it involves drawing up sodium bicarb with a needle from a vial, putting the bicarb in a cup, dissolving a capsule in the bicarb, waiting about 15 minutes, drawing the mixture up into a syringe and administering through his tube, and then disposing of the needle before the quickest toddler this side of the Mississippi gets ahold of the syringe. It makes the good ole days of giving the old med by wrestling him to the floor and shoving some applesauce with meds in it into his mouth.
So being my momma did not raise me to swear like a truck driver (especially in front of a child who is rapidly developing speech), I am calling it a day. My ambition for the night is to fixate on the television screen. I may refill the feeding pump on or two times and empty a urostomy bag or two- but only because the kid would die and the bag would explode if I totally boycotted all things medical.
Oh, yeah, and I get to poke a needle into my child's stomach.
Sheesh.....sure hope I don't pierce his lung. I might have a hard time explaining that one.
I can definitely relate. At times I think a blue cloud rolls out of my car. I allow myself to indulge in language of the four letter variety when I am alone in the car.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes have to strap myself down when I hear a coworker complain that little johnny did not get on the best little league team.