Saturday, September 26, 2009

LEARNING TO CELEBRATE THE BAD

Yep, that about sums it up.

2009 has not been a good year for us. Then again neither was 2008. And 2007- well thinking about that year makes me shudder.

2009 has been marked by new medical (and scary) problems for Benji, economic hardship for Glenn and I, two kids repeating grades, and more nights sleeping on a pullout hospital chair in a Peds ICU than I would ever care to admit. I'm sure our insurance company has our family picture on a dartboard somewhere.

But, oh wait, we never actually get around to a family picture.

We've had experiences the past year that had someone told me 10 years ago when I ventured into parenthood were even possible, I would have invested in some seriously effective birth control, collected about 10 cats to love me, and told Glenn to have a nice life with some woman capable of delivering healthy children. Cats never have their blood sugar crash, get blood infections, make their parents live on the edge of bankruptcy, require 911 calls, or cause their parents to lose their jobs. And if they do then you can always drop them off at the local humane society.

Through this all we've come to the conclusion that we need to live like each day is Benji's last. We need to balance the scary things with some good things.

Why? Because in the words of Dr. Seuss- "a person's a person no matter how small."

1 comment:

  1. wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to cry together... seriously!

    ReplyDelete